Media Coverage Policy
Music Nation love live photos and so do our readers! We have a crew of superstar photographers available to capture your event anywhere across the nation. Just so we’re all clear as to what we’re doing and what you get, here’s our full media coverage policy.
Having a media photographer at your event not only shows you clearly ‘made it’ because you have paparazzi now, but the chances are extremly good some executive from Capitol Records will notice your incredible stage act and its only a matter of time before the phone starts ringing.
Well, we can’t guarantee that, but we will try our best. What we can promise, however, is fantastic photos showing your band in the best way – live on stage! Blurry cell phone photos from your mates are one thing, but professional quality high resolution photos on the Music Nation site and social media pages for free is next level.
Just so we all on the same page, what is ‘media’? For Music Nation it is anything we can use as content for our site. Mostly we are referring to photos, but it can include video footage, online stream recordings, graphics and audio.
We genrally only capture photographs from live events. If we were to video if would take time arranging crew, lighting and space, so we usually avoid this.
We do, however, often capture video and live stream recordings for interviews. This is something we arrange well in advance and though still considered ‘media’, it is outside the scope of this page.
So for all intents and purposes, on this page we are referring to still photos, either captured at your live event or pre-planned as a photo shoot.
A couple of tips
Getting our photographer there is the easy part – its up to you now to be the rock stars. Shoe-gazing is bad, playing up to the camera and showboating is great, within reason. Remember you are actually about to be seen by thousand of potential fans online, so portray the image you want them to see.
Keep an eye out for our photographer and have fun with them, they will always react to any actions you throw their way.
Make sure you invite the photographer backstage if you can. Candid backstage photos are not only gold for your fans, but are an invaluable history of your band.
Don’t be afraid of the camera. You’re going to have to get used to them fast if you want to be famous. If you are genuinely awkward and nervous around photographers, maybe try practising in the mirror before the gig. Wear outrageous clothing, its a fantastic way to mask confidence. Heck, wear a mask if you like – Ghost have done it for 20-years.
Please remember, our photographers are there to make you look awesome. We will never post any photos that are embarrassing or don’t portray the band in the best light, so don’t worry about that. It makes our website and photographers look amazing if you look amazing. We’re all in the same boat together, relativly speaking.
What we need:
– Our name on the door guest list under ‘Music Nation Photographer‘ for a single media pass. We will try to give you a photographer’s name, but often schedules change last minute.
– We use flash photography where ever possible, please inform us BEFORE if this is a problem.
– Access to shoot at least 3 songs for each band performing. Ideally access to shoot the entire show.
– General access to the pit if available.
– Backstage opportunities to photograph the band privately if possible.
What you get
– Full access to all edited, high-resolution images captured with our Music Nation logo branding. We often only print a fraction of what we shoot due to space limitations. You will have access to all of the shots used and unused on Music Nations website or Facebook. We will link to your website or Facebook page where possible.
What you can’t do to our photos
– Remove the logo branding or modify the images in any way other than re-sizing, or reasonable cropping to suit and application (such as profile photos etc).
– Sell, or instruct to commercially use any images shot by us.
What we do with the photos
– All images are displayed on our website’s ‘Live’ page. Your photos will feature at the top of the page for a period of time depending on space availability. They will then be archived but still available for viewing indefinitely. Links remain once archived, so you can freely link from there to your Facebook, blog etc.
– Post a feature image on Facebook with links to your Music Nation photo page and the band (if on Facebook).
– Use your photos for future articles on your band if applicable.
– Use your images to promote Music Nation.
– Unless specifically restricted, we allow our photographer to display the images on their portfolio, website and social media pages.
The fine print
Music Nation have copyright and exclusive use of photos taken for us by our photographers. Your images are protected and will not be sold to any other publication or outlet without your permission. Music Nation may use your photos as promotional material for our site. Your photos may appear on other website we partner with, but will always include branding, links and credits.